Hookers & Blow is a rock and roll band put together in 2003 by Dizzy Reed of Guns N’ Roses and Alex Grossi of Quiet Riot and was formed simply to be a fun band for them to experiment and play around with. The line-up has changed over the years to suit the prevailing moods and, more importantly, to incorporate who was around at the time and the band has now finally gotten around to recording their debut album which is a very eclectic, clever and enjoyable covers record. The current line-up or to be more precise the one that has recorded the album is Grossi on guitar and Reed on keyboards and vocals with Nadja Reed on vocals, Mike Duda (W.A.S.P.) on bass and Johnny Kelly (Type O Negative, Danzig) on drums with a few guests thrown in for good measure.
The idea behind the band is to party and have fun and they have most certainly enjoyed themselves with the track selection which includes many surprises but all are played with a skill, precision and expertise as the band gives some pretty unique and always adventurous and enjoyable takes on some very well known songs. Just take a quick look at the track list to see some pretty amazing songs that you would normally never see side by side but all are reinterpreted to give them a totally new sound. Yes, the band plays for enjoyment but the music is played seriously and it is great to hear them having some fun with them too. Normally, I am not too keen on covers albums but the versions that Hookers & Blow have recorded makes this a most worthwhile exercise and a thoroughly enjoyable fun album too.
There are far too many highlights to mention but I just love their version of No Quarter which features Frankie Banali, the sadly departed drummer of Quiet Riot, and he also plays on the Underfoot track too, RIP big man.
This is one of those albums that you will play and everyone will want to know who it is, great stuff!
Hookers & Blow track list
- Rocks Off (The Rolling Stones) (4:17)
- Shakin’ (Eddie Money) (3:01)
- Trampled Underfoot (Feat Frankie Banali) (Led Zeppelin) (6:32)
- Ziggy Stardust (David Bowie) (3:17)
- The Winner Loses Body Count) (4:59)
- Time Of The Season (The Zombies) (4:05)
- American Girl (Tom Petty) (3:57)
- Godzilla (Feat the Okai Sisters) (Blue Oyster Cult) (4:06)
- You Gotta Fight For Your Right (To Party) (The Beastie Boys) (3:27)
- Under My Thumb/Let’s Spend The Night Together (The Rolling Stones) (3:52)
- No Quarter (Feat Frankie Banali) (Led Zeppelin) (6:45)
- Saturday Night’s Alright For Fighting (Elton John) (4:40)