Alternative progressive rock band Trope released their latest music video for Planes, a single off their highly praised debut album Eleutheromania. Showcasing a more delicate and eerie offering from the band, Planes features beautiful looping clean guitar riffs while a melodic bass line dances over the seemingly basic yet complex drum groove. Soft to frustrated vocals round out the sonic pallet that is Planes, with subtle time changes sporadically placed.
Planes was filmed in 3 countries due to the band being separated during these times. Vocalist (Diana Studenberg), Guitarist (Joe Ciccia) and Drummer (Sasha Siegel) were filmed in Toronto Canada, Guitarist (Moonhead) was filmed in Sofia Bulgaria, and Bassist (Todd Demma) in Los Angeles, USA, and were edited seamlessly into one space.
Lead singer Diana Studenberg shares: “Planes is about trying to carve out and stay in a creative space and getting constantly torn away from it by reality- we’re all forced to deal with it, in our own microcosms.”
Diana adds: “It’s also about fiercely clinging to an ideology whilst failing to acknowledge that person standing right in front of you. Overlooking humans, clinging to our planes… ‘you should have seen it then’.”
Planes was filmed by 3 separate crews including cinematographers Edward Lim and Joseph Brock (Toronto), Malcolm Guess (Los Angeles), and Simeon Simeonov (Sofia), production assistants Bri and Raine, and was directed and edited by Moonhead. The suits worn by Diana, Sasha and Joe were made by designer Matthew Davignon in Toronto and Jesse Bella did hair and makeup.
Trope will be on tour this May/June 2022, opening for the 25-date upcoming Symphony X and Haken North American tour. Be sure to grab your tickets here.
Symphony-X tour 2022
with HAKEN and TROPE
- May 10 – New York, N.Y. @ Irving Plaza
- May 11 – Glenside, Pa. @ Keswick Theatre
- May 12 – Worcester, Mass. @ The Palladium
- May 13 – Quebec City, Quebec @ Imperial Bell
- May 14 – Montreal, Quebec @ Corona Theatre
- May 15 – Toronto, Ontario @ The Danforth Music Hall
- May 17 – Cleveland, Ohio @ Agora Theatre
- May 18 – Detroit, Mich. @ Majestic Theatre
- May 19 – Chicago, Ill. @ Park West
- May 20 – St Louis, Mo. @ Red Flag
- May 21 – Minneapolis, Minn. @ Varsity Theater
- May 23 – Denver, Colo. @ The Oriental Theater
- May 24 – Salt Lake City, Utah @ The Complex
- May 26 – Seattle, Wash. @ The Showbox
- May 27 – Vancouver, British Columbia @ The Rickshaw Theatre
- May 28 – Portland, Ore. @ Hawthorne Theatre
- May 29 – San Francisco, Calif. @ The Regency Ballroom
- May 31 – Santa Ana, Calif. @ The Observatory
- June 01 – Los Angeles, Calif. @ The Belasco Theater
- June 02 – Mesa, Ariz. @ Nile Theater
- June 04 – Austin, Texas @ Empire Garage
- June 05 – Dallas, Texas @ Amplified Live
- June 07 – Atlanta, Ga. @ Heaven at the Masquerade
- June 08 – Orlando, Fla. @ The Plaza Live
- June 10 – Carrboro, N.C. @ Cat’s Cradle
- June 11 – Baltimore, Md. @ Baltimore Soundstage
- June 12 – Montclair, N.J. @ The Wellmont Theater
Citing influences including Incubus, A Perfect Circle, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, Peter Gabriel and more, Trope have been busy playing shows internationally at such legendary venues including LA’s Whisky a Go Go and Viper Room. They also played over 50 dates in 2021 at clubs and festivals in Europe, headlining festivals in Romania and Bulgaria.
Eleutheromania, their debut album, features 10 tracks and was engineered by Mike Fraser (AC/DC, Metallica), mixed by David Bottrill (Tool, Peter Gabriel, Muse) and mastered by Ted Jensen (Dave Mathews Band, Alice In Chains).